12.01.2005

Migrating from CF5 to CFMX 7

I'm still in the planning stages of moving my employer's web site that currently runs in ColdFusion 5 to ColdFusion MX 7. One of the things I am most excited about is the use of CFC's and I am comtemplating using ColdSpring as the framework for the CFC's. If you've used ColdSpring and have some feedback I'd love to hear others' opinions. Right now I'm still mapping out exactly how the entire application will run so reviewing each option along the way is still wide open at this point. If you're clueless as to what the hell a framework is, much less CFC's or ColdFusion, it's a way to organize code. Think of it in terms of the way we write the English language. Most people know to capitalize the first word in a sentence, proper names, and to double space before a new paragraph. That's the best I can do at the moment but if you'd like to learn more about ColdFusion MX 7 and what all it can offer take a look at:

http://www.macromedia.com/software/coldfusion/demos/

At that link you'll find a six part series that you can review within a hour or so and get more of an idea of how fascinating the new version of CF really is. Take note on the ease of creating forms and the code reuse functionality made possible by CFC's.

I'll post from time to time to let you know how it goes and what problems I run into along the way. If you've tackled the task of moving a site from v5 to v7 I'd love to hear from you. Or if you just have a suggestion on organizing during the planning stage I'm still working on at this point. Whatever...suggestions are always welcome!

No comments: